SailNet Community - View Single Post - New here, new to sailing...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: New here, new to sailing...

OK, you've fallen over the fence, now get out there! This is how the madness starts. If I may be so bold as to pontificate a recommendation . . .

Buy a trailer sailor in the 22 foot range. Big enough to learn on and not spend most of your time swimming, small enough to let you make mistakes and not pay too much for them. A sailboat in that range will go for around $3500 on a trailer and in fair to good condition. A mid-sized car car still haul it and if you wanted you can "dry sail" her at a local marina for short money. It's also big enough for a cozy weekend and a bottle of Merlot or a "who needs to shower" weekend with a buddy. (Whoa, I guess I'm assuming you're a guy). A short keel is perfect for the water around that sandbar you live on. Then, in a couple of years when the sickness really takes hold of you and your wallet, you sell the little one pretty much for what you bought her for and buy her big sister. I suggest picking up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great info on the subject but most important is a section in the back that gives you specs, photos, sketches, pros, cons and the like of about 50 boats in the 15 to 28 foot range. It can help you to figure out what you like, what you don'y like and what you never knew you always wanted.

We picked up a Lancer 25 six years ago and now spend every possible weekend and vacation sailing the "rockbound coast of Maine". In 29 days, 10 hours and 9 minutes we take possession of a yacht that we are chartering in the British Virgin Isles. Yeah, get jealous. I'm ok with that!

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook