SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie wants to learn to sail
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007

superdave is on a distinguished road
Talking Newbie wants to learn to sail

Well, I'm going to be launching Tenacious next weekend. I've been learning a lot from books and hanging around here, but I'm hoping people can help with some fairly dumb questions (I do search the site first). Anyhow, with your help, maybe I'll decide to take an un-seaworthy boat down the east coast, or maybe try a catamaran trip around the world (if I can find someone as cute as that girl!)

A little background: Tenacious is a '73 Coronado 23, and I'm only sailing around a lake in Colorado. I've rented a slip for a while.

So my first question is, how do you wrap the mainsail around the boom to be temporarily stored under the cover? I can't seem to find a technique that works, and suspect that it takes two people.

Second, I haven't seen much here on dock etiquette. Common sense aside, any tips that I should know? I also don't know the regulations for using the ramp; I assume that they give me a little time to get my bearings, etc., right?

Last, I'm worried about getting in people's way, since I'll be very slow for a while, I guess. I will probably learn how to motorsail first, but otherwise, would like some advice on how to navigate a lake without bothering people.

Thanks in advance, and I promise to share any good stories I cause!

-Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook