SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
post #103 of Old 03-03-2014
Tim R.

Re: Downside of living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Seems there's two types of liveaboards being discussed:

- ones who are tied to the dock forever, never use for its intended purpose and know little about a boat.
- ones like CruisingDad and Wingnwing who liveabord but use their boats for its intended purpose and are very knowledgeable.

I think I will be the later

I was talking with a member at our club who is a liveaboard...we were discussing our recent electric bills due to the extreme cold weather we've had in Maryland this winter. His electric bill was more than my gas & electric bill combined and my house must be 20 times the sq ft. According to him, this includes a carpet on the sole and some insulation here and there, plus only keeping the cabin in the low 60 high 50 F. Sounds like a downside to side to living aboard in a cold climate to me!? Heading South is the correct answer to this problem
Two points to add.:

There is a third LA type. It is a hybrid of type 1 and 2. Those who are living aboard preparing to leave and cruising weekends. We are at year 4 of our 5 year plan and will leave a year early when we toss off the lines in May.

In Maine our total heating costs are about $1000 for diesel fuel. Electric is another $400 for Oct-April. Electric is free the remainder of the year. This is much less than I ever paid for our 2,200 sq. ft. home. Our boat is 40ft. and we keep the heat around 65 because that is comfortable for us. 70 is too warm.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome