SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Seems there's two types of liveaboards being discussed:

- ones who are tied to the dock forever, never use for its intended purpose and know little about a boat.
- ones like CruisingDad and Wingnwing who liveabord but use their boats for its intended purpose and are very knowledgeable.

I think I will be the later

I was talking with a member at our club who is a liveaboard...we were discussing our recent electric bills due to the extreme cold weather we've had in Maryland this winter. His electric bill was more than my gas & electric bill combined and my house must be 20 times the sq ft. According to him, this includes a carpet on the sole and some insulation here and there, plus only keeping the cabin in the low 60 high 50 F. Sounds like a downside to side to living aboard in a cold climate to me!? Heading South is the correct answer to this problem
Two points to add.:

There is a third LA type. It is a hybrid of type 1 and 2. Those who are living aboard preparing to leave and cruising weekends. We are at year 4 of our 5 year plan and will leave a year early when we toss off the lines in May.

In Maine our total heating costs are about $1000 for diesel fuel. Electric is another $400 for Oct-April. Electric is free the remainder of the year. This is much less than I ever paid for our 2,200 sq. ft. home. Our boat is 40ft. and we keep the heat around 65° because that is comfortable for us. 70° is too warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook