Re: What to do while mast is off?
Here is what I did last year when my mast was down:
* inspected and cleaned or replaced all sheaves
* replaced anchor and steaming lights with LEDs (I used Hella Marine ones)
* replaced all wiring, except for VHF
* inspected all standing rigging
* replaced halyards
* cleaned out all mast step drains
* replaced dead wind instrument (I used a homemade system built around a Davis instrument. If I were buying new I'd just get the Raymarine i40 for about $400).
Here is what I wish I had also done:
* add spinnaker crane and internal spinnaker topping lift
* add mast hardware to support a solent stay
* replace standing rigging
* replace VHF cable with a smaller diameter one
boats that I sail on regularly: Pearson 28-2, Rondar 505, Yankee 30, Blanchard Junior