SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 40 or Soverel 41
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 05-21-2007
Soverel 48

In response to the earlier questions about Soverel 48s; the boat handles extremely well in light to moderate air. It is very responsive and often feels like a dinghy with its manueverability. It will easily do 8 knots in ~15 knots of wind on any kind of a reach. I have not experienced anything beyond moderate conditions with it at this point. Only latter hull numbers had any foam at all in the hull. (Hull #14 has some cored areas, but I was told they were limited to above the waterline.) Only a very small portion of the decks have core material, limited to some areas above the house only. Relative to ocean passages; I will withhold comment until I can stop working on it long enough to do that. Either it is real good at that, or I have wasted a lot of time trying to get ready!

Originally Posted by Chas..F
After listening to a friend rave (he''s an excitable type) about his Soveral 48 with a 9,000(?) bronze centerboard, and about all soverels in general, I started looking at a Soverel 41 K/CB for sale near me.

I also have noticed a C&C Crusader 40 K/CB for sale on Yachtworld. They seem similar outwardly, except the C&C has a shorter waterline. Does anyone know the construction materials and overall build quality for these two boats? (The Soverel 48 was reputed to have a lightweight, sturdy foam-cored hull.)

And can anyone comment on their sea motion and seaworthiness? Are either of these boats up to ocean passages?

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome