SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 40 or Soverel 41
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007

soverel48 is on a distinguished road
Soverel 48

In response to the earlier questions about Soverel 48s; the boat handles extremely well in light to moderate air. It is very responsive and often feels like a dinghy with its manueverability. It will easily do 8 knots in ~15 knots of wind on any kind of a reach. I have not experienced anything beyond moderate conditions with it at this point. Only latter hull numbers had any foam at all in the hull. (Hull #14 has some cored areas, but I was told they were limited to above the waterline.) Only a very small portion of the decks have core material, limited to some areas above the house only. Relative to ocean passages; I will withhold comment until I can stop working on it long enough to do that. Either it is real good at that, or I have wasted a lot of time trying to get ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas..F
After listening to a friend rave (he''s an excitable type) about his Soveral 48 with a 9,000(?) bronze centerboard, and about all soverels in general, I started looking at a Soverel 41 K/CB for sale near me.

I also have noticed a C&C Crusader 40 K/CB for sale on Yachtworld. They seem similar outwardly, except the C&C has a shorter waterline. Does anyone know the construction materials and overall build quality for these two boats? (The Soverel 48 was reputed to have a lightweight, sturdy foam-cored hull.)

And can anyone comment on their sea motion and seaworthiness? Are either of these boats up to ocean passages?

Thanks,
Chas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook