SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jordan series drogue
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel
Getting caught in bad conditions 50 mi from Bermuda, in deep water, does not mean that poor judgment or seamanship was used, but you are still in danger of a dangerous lee shore. I personally would want a way of slowing my progress to a minimum. Most case histories I've read claim 0.5kts or less with a Para-anchor. Also according to DDDB testimonials, when proper length nylon rodes are used, there are not exessive loads imposed. Chafe is definitly a problem, but knowing that, proper chafe gear should be obtained before leaving. Not doing so would be poor seamanship.
Marc
Yes, but have you ever tried to adjust the length of the rode on a parachute type sea-anchor under load??? It isn't really feasible unless you're letting out line. Parachute-type sea anchors have to be positioned properly, in relation to the boat, or they can collapse pretty easily. I prefer something that is a bit more flexible about its deployment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook