SailNet Community - View Single Post - Centerboard Position
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2002

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
Centerboard Position

Probably none in April, May or June. We and I used to do it from the 2nd week of July to the end of August. Even so probably no one else would even consider doing what I, we, have done. It is extremely important to wear polypropelene long underwear under your foulies because it takes 8 hours to get across and one gets very cold. In winds over 20 this boat was almost always sailed with a "special main" (actually a jib with slides) run up the mast in place of the main and no regular jib. To bail (sometimes over the leeward seats--maybe more than 60 gallons) I let the sails fly, and actually left the boat sideways to the 4 to 6 foot waves while I bailed without the boat even coming close to capsizing (that particular day was a nasty port beat from Chambers Island in Green Bay to Washington Island which took if I remmember right 10 hours, maybe 12). My wife and I now sail a "big" boat a Freedom 21 and cruised for 50 days last summer. We went up the St. Marys river to the Sault and liked it so much we did it over again ( this boat has a third reef which is great for really windy days). The boat is on the trailer and needs some work so I have to go ( I hope to launch in 2 weeks). Happy sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook