SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2002

scnicklefritz is on a distinguished road
Dangerous Wakes Revisited

I was helping deliver a 60'' power boat up the ICWW a few years back and the captain was in a hurry to get to the marina at Hilton Head, SC, before nightfall, on our way north.

We were about a mile or 2 away from the marina, he''s going too fast and people on shore are yelling at him/us to slow down because their docked boats are bouncing all over the place.

He ignores them and us and keeps steaming almost full speed ahead. Two local guys get into their boat and catch up to us and start yelling at the captain to come back and look at the damage he''s caused.

The captain is trying to navigate, drive the boat, respond to these guys yelling at him is now getting very distracted. He runs the boat aground very hard and we are stuck!

He then loudly mutters something about getting his gun from his cabin loud enough so the 2 local guys can hear and they take off laughing at him/us.

It was not a pretty sight. Fortunately we ran aground (contradicion of terms, there) at low tide and were able to back away without a tow, in about an hour.

The captain was very much in the wrong and unfortunately didn''t go back to appologize and didn''t offer restitution for any damage. This is hard to understand but this guy did everything his way, and rarely took advice from anyone.

Later, I saw him do something like this when he was behind a sailboat in a narrow channel leaving Mystic, Conn. and thought the sailboater was delibertly blocking him.

Bizzare behavior!!!

I gave the captain the nickname, "Dangerous Dave".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook