SailNet Community - View Single Post - Icebox question
Thread: Icebox question
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends on how the sheets are made and how they will be joined together to make the icebox. Since you don't say what the 1/8" FRP is made of, or give any more information than that, it is hard to say whether they will be strong enough.

Are you going to fiberglass the sheets together and make it into a single piece laminated box?

Your box is going to be about 16" x 24" x 18" or a bit more depending on the tapering... If you've got the icebox loaded with beer...think of how much four cubic feet of water weighs... comes in around 250 lbs.

An 18" span of 1/8" fiberglass with 250 lbs on it is going to be a bit on the weak side. I'd over-engineer rather than under, but that's just me. Also, you want the bottom of the box to be strong enough so that if someone were to drop that half-gallon metal can of pineapple juice into the empty icebox, it wouldn't crack or break under the impact. I don't think 1/8" is going to hold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-24-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook