SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

O'Day or Catalina

21K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  TAK 
#1 · (Edited)
O'Day or Catalina or Crewing?

I grew up sailing Prams, Rhodes and 420's - of course that was 25+ years ago so I've forgotten more than I remember. Finally, about 6 years ago, I bought a Precision 16. An Excellent boat but an open sloop the wife didn't like on Lake Lanier here in Georgia because of the light winds. So I sold it after a couple years. Now I am looking for a 22-25' boat we can spend the weekend (still on the lake) and I'm looking at a Catalina 25 Fin Keel or an O'Day 25 Swing Keel. I have never heard of O'Day but like the idea of a wheel as opposed to a tiller and also the swing keel to make lake sailing easier. But after all this time, this big a boat is going to be an experience for me and my landlubber wife. I think I can manage 'til I get my legs but the boat needs to be easy enough to sail to get me reacquainted and my wife introduced to bigger sailboats. Is an O'Day a decent boat to sail? How does it compare to a Catalina (both '79's)? Am I out of my mind doing this? Am I letting my life long obsession get the better of me? Should I just buy more model sailboats? Should I trust my instincts or should I go back to listening to Marley and Buffett 24/7?

#27 ·
Ebay

ha ha... i went the ebay route too. I had stuff around the house that i haven't used in years... off to ebay! I raised another 2000 for the new boat but it was a long process with lots of trips to the UPS store. It was win win though cause i got the house cleaned up a bit (good for the fiance:D ) and i got closer to purchasing a good boat rather than an ok one. We were deciding between an 87 O'Day 272LE and a 87 Pearson 27. They were both nice boats but the Pearson won out even though we were big O'Day fans.

#28 ·
Either Or

I sailed a 28 O'Day for several years, moved up to a 37 Endeavour. The O'Day company went out of business not because they built a less than perfect boat, but because the founder retired and sold his molds to a company that was starved out during the tax/cost squeeze during the late 80's. They built a great boat, as does catalina. Most larger o'days were powered by a Yanmar diesel, current production and no parts shortage. Smaller ones were powered by outboards, which makes it easy to repair or replace. A 25 with a swing keel is trailerable, could be taken along on that dream vacation in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Go with the one in best condition!

#30 ·
I am not very familiar with O'Days. However I own a 1983 Catalina 22 and love it. It is also quite easy to find parts for Catalinas, through Catalina direct, as a previous reply noted.

-Spencer

PS- Check the condition of the swing keel. God blessed me so that I was lucky enough to find a boat with a replaced swing keel (relatively new).

#31 ·
VASailor10 said:
I am not very familiar with O'Days. However I own a 1983 Catalina 22 and love it. It is also quite easy to find parts for Catalinas, through Catalina direct, as a previous reply noted.

-Spencer

PS- Check the condition of the swing keel. God blessed me so that I was lucky enough to find a boat with a replaced swing keel (relatively new).
Can you explain what you mean? My Precision had a centerboard (straight forward) and I've never been up close and personal with a swing keel. I picture a swing keel as a solid keel (x inches or feet deep) with a hole in it where the lower keel can swing into it. Other than the pull line, cleat and pivot point, what can do wrong? Not being funny, just don't know.:confused:

#32 ·
A swing keel is basically a heavily weighted centerboard.

#33 · (Edited)
Other than the pull line, cleat and pivot point, what can do wrong?
Not a lot. You might find sea creatures setting up housekeeping inside the trunk, thus making it difficult to raise it completely, or might scrape the sides of it when you raise and lower it. If you run aground, it might bend (depending on how it is constructed) but it is more likely that your pivot will be damaged than the keel itself ...

The primary thing to look at is how it is constructed, and whether or not it is sound. If it is a flat piece of metal encased in fibreglass, or something else, it's possible that there may be some internal corrosion if the outer sheathing has been damaged. I have no knowledge of O'Day swing keels, so I think that the best thing to do would be to ask for information regarding the constuction on the O'Day Owner's website. Would probably be a good idea to hang out on there for a while to see what problems tend to occur with that particular model.

Hope it works out well for you :)

#34 ·
I haven't checked on all the responses but I'd stay away from the Catalina 25 and 22 swing keel. I have extensive experience with the Catalina 25 swing keel and it's horrible. You have to leave the helm, go below, and crank the thing. If you just hit bottom or need to bring the keel up quickly you're screwed. The O'Day 222 is a great boat because it has a keel AND a centerboard, and a centerboard uphaul that can be pulled up and down with one hand still on the tiller. That is a great little boat. I'd look at this fresh water sailed O'Day 272 with a wing keel. If the keel gets mud sucked...stuck...you can step off and push.
Certified Sales, Inc. (Warwick, RI)
YADO

#35 ·
I'd look at this fresh water sailed O'Day 272 with a wing keel. If the keel gets mud sucked...stuck...you can step off and push.
:rolleyes: Actually,... I've looked at that exact boat in person and there was some serious water intrusion into the cabin. Standing water in the v-berth. The engine wouldn't crank and the "freshly refinished" teak and holly sole was bubbled up and in poor shape. We liked the O'day 272 and looked at another in NJ but found the Pearson 27 to be a lot nicer... and we found it in NC so no transport involved.

#36 ·
Big differences betweent the Oday and Catalina centerboards. The Catalina is really a swing keel. All of your ballast is in the swinging centerboard. You need to crank that bad boy up or down with a mechanical device. This is not quite as bad as it sounds as Catalina makes a jillion of these things and it has the kinks ironed out; the mechanisms are reliable and serviceable. That doesn't mean they don't have disadvantages, just that Catalina has managed to minimize them. All your ballast is in a moveable piece attached to the boat by one pin. Not for me, thanks. However, lots of people have trusted this arrangement for years and are no worse off for it.

The Oday centerboard is not part of the ballast. All of the Oday ballast is is encapsulated within the hull in a stubby, permanent keel. The centerboard swings down from a slot in the center of this keel. It is controlled by a single line lead into the cockpit. No block and tackle, no cranks. Advantages: simple and easy to handle.

That being said, I agree with the others who say that both are well made boats and if all other things are equal for you, go with the one that is in better shape. I own an Oday 23, which I bought over a Catalina 22 and a Catalina 25.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.