SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forward deck hatch -- the dreaded soggy wood
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007

tomg847 is on a distinguished road
Question Forward deck hatch -- the dreaded soggy wood

I've been working on my new (used) Catalina 22 that I bought in February. I've been chasing down 3 cabin leaks and killed off 2 of the three at the source (outside the deck under fittings). The last one I have is the biggest one unfortunately. I've been trying to find it after it rains and still chasing it. It leaves a puddle on the aft port set just left of the cabin entry door. The water is kind of "tea" colored. I resealed the stanchions, and the forward bow railing on that side (sorry, I don't have the official name, but you know what I mean!) I still have to seal the other three posts on that still.
Anyway, looking at the forward hatch above the v-berth, I found it was wet along the port side edge (one of he previous owners had done some repairs there, which was kind of falling apart). I took the hatch off and scraped off some of the old sealant and was able to peek in the gap between the ceiling and the edge of the hatch. Prying it open with a screwdriver and peeking in, I saw - yes - the DREADED soggy plywood! UGH!
tapping around the deck with a hammer, I seem to have tracked it to the edge of the deck mostly on the port side, but there is a spot on the starboard side near the hatch also. I did a temporary seal around the hatch with some tub caulk just to seal it from more water, but I still have to deal with this now. I think this is where the water leak came from, then drained along the ceiling panel to the rear of the boat where it could then spill out onto the seat.

I'm sure this is common, but I'm kind of worried. Any ideas what I should do now? Forget it and seal it? Tear the boat apart to replace the plywood? Dry it out somehow? Patch it? <*sigh*>

Tom
Catalina 22 #880 1971
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook