SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forward deck hatch -- the dreaded soggy wood
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007

tomg847 is on a distinguished road
Deck slicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
Tom, you really need to get the rotted wood out of there. I've heard of people cutting the deck laminations carefully and peeling them off so they can reuse them later, others replace the core and add new deck laminations and then refinish the deck. I sounds like the areas where your deck is penetrated are not sealed properly with thickened epoxy. That probably means removing all deck fixtures and sealing the core and rebedding the deck hardware, after removing all wet and rotted core. A very large job.
Yeah, I've been reading a bunch of stuff on the internet about this. Seems that I can somehow outline the wet part, overlap to the dry part, cut out a neat chunk replace the insides and put it all together again.

I just wonder how to deal with the non-slip deck stuff to blend it together again after putting it back on. It's not really rough stuff, but rather smooth bumps, so that may be an advantage, but maybe not. The deck does seem firm, but I'm just concerned that it will just get worse over time.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook