SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drilling A Drainage Hole in Sunfish Hull???
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007

Gabbyfire is on a distinguished road
Drilling A Drainage Hole in Sunfish Hull???

Has anyone ever drilled a permanent drainage hole and used a removable plug in one of these older sunfish ..........
So if it needs to be drained again you have easy accessability??? I have no idea how water is getting in the hull. I will try to find out and repair it ..but if I can't I just don't see drilling drainage holes in it every few weeks..(uses)

I aquired an older sunfish last week. Don't know how old. We took it out for a couple hours and found that we had aquired some water in the hull. We turned it upside down hoping the water would drain out of the bailer but it didn't. Our other Sunfish (age unknown) has a drain plug in the back and a circular opening on the deck at the back. I can open either one of these and drain water out of the hull.

(It was suggested on another thread submitted by LEWFOX that they drill some holes in the hull to drain the water and then patch them but I can't see doing this repeatedly if I can't find the leak). If anyone has any experience with this problem any suggestion (or detailed instructions) would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook