SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Dangerous Wakes Revisited

FIrst, sorry you are constantly having such problems. I know how it is. I did not at all blame the guy who was actually arrested last year or year before, can''t remember, when he pointed a starter''s pistol at a jet ski enthusiast who had been tormenting him.

Videotaping seems to be an excellent idea. And if the police won''t pay attention to the tapes, then perhaps the environmental societies all thru southern FL will!! It made me so sick during one trip south because 8 of the 11 manatees I logged had huge gashes across their backs, most likely from props. And at least every few miles in southern FL, you are going through a protected area, yes?

Or another idea along the same lines would be to take photos of the offenders in the commission of their stupidity and enlarge and then post them at local marinas. You''re bound to find the one they belong to, if they do, sooner or later. And if they trailer, they will be at least known as people to watch out for. Surely it isn''t libel if it is only a photo of someone actually breaking the law, with no derogatory comments involved.

Just traveling through, I had no idea that reports to the Marine Police went unnoticed.

Years ago, delivering a 45 footer up the Erie Canal we were surprised one morning by a man screaming and cursing at us. Seems that even in our almost imperceptible wake, his little fishing boat had hit his dock. We turned around and got as close as our draft would allow. By the time we went on our way, we had found out that he had to come out of his house every time a boat came by. He didn''t know what fenders or mooring whips are and he had no protection at all on his little dock. He was very, very apologetic when we left, and very grateful for the old, almost ratty fender we tossed him to tie to his dock until he could set up something else. So it does pay to try at least to make things right. We never would have imagined the story - it was a very nice section of the canal, and the guy lived in a very pretty two-story house - but still, he was tired of having to come out each time to check on his boat when there was really no need, probably, if he had any protection at all. Poor man, he''d had the boat 8 months and we were the first people who had stopped.

Best of luck to you. Stay safe!! Don''t be taking pictures and fall overboard when the wake hits!!

Mary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook