SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Luder's 36
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007

AA3NK is on a distinguished road
Luders CL36

Greetings John & Marcia,

I may have seen some of your posts on the Delphi forum while grazing there this morning--yep, there seems to not be much interaction among owners but there are several lively web pages that celebrate various CL projects, Bisous, Invitation and related links from those pages as well.

My prop is a three blade though I cannot tell you the pitch info yet. The boat is new to me and even simple stuff such as where to place the anode on the prop shaft is elusive. Given the very small amount of shaft exposed between the keel and the prop it seems likely that the zinc will have to attached to the end of the prop shaft.

My first order of business is to prepare the bottom for paint and apply two coats of a general purpose product. The teak hand rails and the cabin sole or trunk or however the house part should be described needs a new finish as well but I am not going to be elaborate about it--prep the old surface, fill any stress cracks or crazing, mask, and roll & brush with Topsides or a similar product.

The decks and gunwhale/toe rail were done in Cetol a couple of years back and have pretty much lost all of that finish so I will finish removing the rest with scraping or sanding as is most efficient. I am not committed to any particular product for refinishing the deck but the rails will get varnish as will the rest of the house trim and hatch covers, cockpit coamings cabin door.

This boat has a roller furling rig that is serviceable but has seen a lot of service too. If I can keep it going for a year or two while researching and learning about options, all the better. The standing rigging is well placed on my list of upgrades and I will definitely provide an antenna system associated with the backstay when upgrading the rigging. I would also like to have second forestay for a short jib rather than using the roller furl rig for more wind than required for brisk sailing.

Did you do anything with the fuel filtering system on yours? The Westerbeke in my rig has 1,468 hours on the meter so I expect another few hundred hours of service from it but feel a compelling urge to install some Racor inline filters that are more readily accessible than the original design.

Where are you all sailing out of?

Glad to hear from you and hope to hear from others as well,

Bob
Rockport, MA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook