SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ericson - Water Damage To Interior Teak Paneling
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2001

noctaluca is on a distinguished road
Ericson - Water Damage To Interior Teak Paneling

I have an Ericson 35 and have recently replaced the main bulkhead just aft of the head. The bulkhead was rotten from years of water leaking in from the chain plates. I also have water leaking in from the toe rail, and handrails. I have fixed the chain plate problem and am working on the latter two. I recomend finding and fixing the leaks first before you put in lots of time fixing things just to get them wet again.
I do not have any leads on templates, but have found some easy ways to make them up.
I used the cheapest,thinnest 4X8 sheet of anything that home depot had. In my case it was particle board with a smooth side, like the backing on cheap melamine shelves. I then cut out the old bulkhead and placed what was left of it on the 4X8, and cut a rough template. Once the template fit loosly into position I then cut 5" X 12" strips of the template material. I slid these strips allong the edge of the template until they rested into position against the hull. Once in position I secured it to the template with duct tape. I cut the template perimiter 1/4 inch shy to allow room for glassing in the hull. If you want more info on how I glassed it in please e-mail me. I need to go right now.
Good luck
Bill e-mail Wlrobbins@aol.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook