SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raytheon Bidata ST 40
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2002

Wega24 is on a distinguished road
Raytheon Bidata ST 40

Hello
I have a bidata ST 40 and have problems with it. It took me almost a year to find out that the silly thing wasnt showing correct speed. I was sooo lucky when the old boat was humming around with almost 4 knots. Than I got a handheld GPS and hold on ... Instantly the boat was almost going 5.5 knots.... lol

So far so good. I get the rather cumbersome description of the Raytheon and find out, that i can actually adjust the speed...

The problem is that the instrument only shows correct speed around 3 knots. Slower and the ST 40 shows less than the GPS if I go faster than 3 knots the ST 40 shows more speed than actual.
Somewhere around this table :

ST 40 GPS
0 1
0.5 2
1.5 2.5
3 3
4.5 4
6 5
7.5 6

roughly like that anyhow... I could make it slower but than it wouldnt show anything up to 3 knots...

I have contacted Raytheon and getting stupid answers.. like interface it with my gps in the sog mode. I dont have a raytheon gps but a handheld !!! Or the other one was to adjust the CAL ... which would mean it would show probably 15 knots when I am going 5..

I do clean the inducer every week. The position is somewhat amidships 10 - 15 inches away from the keel.

Thanks ahead for all your hel
Thorsten
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook