SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail - in mast furling issue
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Mainsail - in mast furling issue

I took delivery on a Catalina 309 this Spring and have been sailing it every chance I get. Love this thing. Still working out the little bugs here and there, as well as just getting myself up to speed with the boat.

Here's the question: When I let the main all the way out and then sail in moderate to heavier winds, when I attempt to furl the main into the mast, it won't furl. What happens is, the last few inches of the luff (just above the boom), doesn't feed into the slot in the mast like it should. I have to go to the mast and slip the luff into the slot and then run back to the furling line in the cockpit and furl it in.

My dealer came out and looked at the problem in the slip, and suggested I raise the end of the boom a little to allow the sail to roll in and out better. That seemed to help a little, but I'm still having trouble with the lower part of the leach jamming.

The dealer's a good dealer and will send the sail to the sailmaker if needed, but I figure the more you know, the more you know. Anybody with in mast furling have any wisdom to share?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook