SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail - in mast furling issue
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Siamese,

Welcome to one of the little idiosyncrasies of in-mast. I will walk you through it as I have seen many people (many of them on this site especially) do it incorrectly.

You obviously know how to get it out... but do you?

1) Head directly (no, not off as has been suggested), but directly into the wind.

2) Break the mainsheet, the boom vang, and reefing line. You should be able to look up at the boom and it will NOT be level with the boat. It should be angled upwards somewhat. If not, you may want to put a bit of tension on the topping lift** (I will explain why shortly). Depending on the seas and the wind, it will be flopping around a bit.

3) Pull out the outhaul. Many people will tell you to head off some at this point but I have not found that useful. The outhaul will be able to pull out that sail without any problem... otherwise you are reefing it in too tight when you are returning the sail to the mast.

4) Once the sail is completely out, cleat off everything. You may want to break the topping lift at this point to drop the boom closer to "level", depending upon the roach desired.

5) Tighten the boom vang to the desired tension, checking the mainsail. The best way to do this is to tension down the line for the typical day by looking at it from the winward side and examining the rigging and mark the line with a marker for a permanent reference.

6) Fall off and set the mainsheets per the angle desired.

Reefing/returning the main:

Everything above, in reverse order, but here come a few of the "idiosyncrasies ":

1) Make aure you are pointed straight in the wind. I have heard many people tell you to leave a point slightly into the wind for tension. I prefer using my outhaul to set my own tension - much like when I reef the Jib. It is easy to do once you get the hang of it.

2) *** Make sure everything is broken BEFORE reefing, and that the boom is up at an angle. If your boom is not up at an angle, lift it up some with the topping lift (I would just have to see your boat to see if this was neccessary). THis is really the trick. If you watch a mainsail come out, it does not really come straight out and level with the boat... the clew kinda goes in at an upward angle. If you try and reef it with the boom level, you are putting a lot of tension on the head and very little on the foot, if that makes sense?? Thus, the sail does not reef in correctly and you will have "slack" at the bottom of the sail at times. Also, that makes it a bear to reef. It should reef into the mast with little effort. Make sure you lube your t-track. Make sure you are the one really controlling the tension going into the mast. I do reccomend some tension on reefing as you do want it to wrap around itself firmly (in order to fit into the mast).

It would be a lot easier, of course, if I could show you in person... but that obviously won't happen. THus, read through this and let me know if you have any questions. If that does not work, your sail has either stretched from being improperly reefed or was not cut right. If it was a new boat, er, hmm, I would tell my dealer it was not cut right (but I doubt it - smile).

Take care.

- CD

PS This is just my best guess. Others may have other suggestions.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook