SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine-driven refrigerator/freezer
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I recently purchased a boat (1986 O'day 35) that came with a Seafrost engine driven Fridge / Freezer. I used the system for the first time this weekend. We sailed 15 nm, spend the night, then sailed home the next day. I loaded the fridge / freezer with food and a bag of ice (I wasn't sure how well it would work). I turned the fridge on for about an hour when we were motoring, then another the next day (again, as we were motoring).

When we got back to the mooring and unloaded to go home, the entire bag of ice was still there (and there was ice in the ice trays).

For my use (day sails when we just use a cooler, weekends when we will use the ice box and maybe some longer trips), the engine driven system works well. My boat is on a mooring, so a 12V system would not work for me anyway.

Lastly, Seafrost not makes combo engine driven / electrical systems as well. If it were up to me, I would not spend the money on the system (the PO paid about $4,000 back in 1995) but I'm glad it is there (and works).

Seafrost is available on-line at SeaFrost.com

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook