SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baha Mexico
Thread: Baha Mexico
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007

dougshipl is on a distinguished road
This is a bit long winded but we love Baja. If you are looking to sail (usually light winds) from CA to Cabo with other boats, the Baja HaHa runs in the Fall and is a blast. Done it several times and you cant beat it for fun. Only those organizers can find a mexican american speaking rock band and lobster dinner on a beach in the middle of no where for under $20 bucks. Only challange is there are only a few places to get fuel and ice (the only 2 words i seem to remember in spanish) for the 1,100 mile trip from San Diego to Cabo. Also, note not many places to sneak into to get out of real bad weather as well as no medical care as US is accustomed to and if someone gets seriously ill they have to be air lifted to US.....after you drive for hours on a bumby dirt road. So plan well. We love Baja and never had problems with locals but we were always very respectfull and would bring toys for young kids and medical supplies for what they call hospitals (1 room buildings) as we hit the fishing villages for supplies as Baja, because of limited mexican population and mostly inhabited by Americans in Cabo & areas north of Ensenada, is not treated by government as well as mainland Mexico cities. In my opinion, best part of Baja is the mexican people and food, the worst is Cabo - reminded me too much of tourist trap and is filled with sport fishing boats from LA. As noted, its like sailing Lake Mead in Vegas. A hot desert but awesome when in bloom. If you want more tropics, head south of PV. Youll love the sailing with the dolphins on your bow and numerious whales that will pop up for a glance at you. And oh yea - the largest population of great whites inhabit the area just off the coast of northern baja so i wouldnt take that morning dip off the side until 500 miles south of US. Other hazard is cruise ships at night. Make sure you have radar to see them and the many other boats that dont use running lights (its mexico).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook