SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 35
Thread: Bristol 35
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Bristol 35

I wish I had my Bristol 35 under my ass right now. It''s sitting in a yard in Maine while I sit here and watch the moon rise over Jost Van Dyke. Ah well. A landing pad in Maine, anyway. What year is the Bristol you are looking at? Mine''s a yawl, the one you''re looking at is likely a sloop. Water infiltration into the balsa cored decks can be a problem. Walk around in stocking feet and bounce a little here and there, including on the cabin top. You''ll see sponginess or hear little crackling sounds. It''s fixable. Hull is solid glass, probably an inch thick or better on the bottom of the ballast. 3/4 inch at the turn of the bilge. Lessee- mast step problems can be fixed-check the blocking under the compression post in the main cabin and see if the passageway door closes cleanly. It can be shimmed up if necessary. All deck hardware should be rebedded right off the bat. Through hulls punched and groco stainless ballcocks installed at about 50 bucks each (thats 7 through hulls, I believe). The old Wilcox Crittenden units get all munged up and, while they work, they stick. I left them in the cockpit scupper drains, which never get closed, and the head sink, which can be a beast to close. Ask questions. I rebuilt the whole boat, the Volvo Diesel, redid everything belowdecks, etc. Sails nice, CCA racer-cruiser, 6.53K hull speed, good positive righting moment. Perfect coastal cruiser, needs cockpit filler boxes to reduce cockpit volume offshore. No big pucker with bolt-in - unbolt to remove storage boxes & helm seat. Everything straightforward enough to figure out and fix. Full keel is forgiving, a little tender in the first gust, but you''ll find it difficult to keep the rail wet. Ask questions, I''ll answer. Is the one you''re looking at a centerboarder? Mine ain''t. I have hull #11. It''s a 1972 Alden Yawl. I miss her. V.I. Exile
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook