SailNet Community - View Single Post - Entering and leaving dock solo
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
Entering and leaving dock solo

I have a line tied to the dock with an eye on the end. This line is looped around the outward piling (it is not removed when leaving the slip) and is the exact length to stop the boat in the exact position to finish tying up. When I come into the slip I keep enough speed for steerage, grab the fixed dock line place it around my stern cleat, (the bow line has a loop tied in the end and this loop has been placed around the life line fitting from the open gate). By now the boat is being stopped and swung into the slip as I easily grab the bow line and step onto the dock. The only trick is to never miss grabbing the stern line from the dock. When there is a heavy North wind I ask for help from the dock attendants.

If there is no tide I believe every boat has some way to rig this stern line to stop the boat. On some boats a line is affixed to the boat maybe a quarter or third of the way from the stern with a loop on the end which is placed over a piling or post or cleat on the dock. Anyway there should be a way to rig up a boat stopping line which will also swing the boat into the dock so you can then easily step onto the dock with the bow line in hand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook