SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navigation Lights
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Sailingdog- What I was saying was that when you see just red and green deck lights there is no reason to suspect that it is a sailboat, is there? So why wouldn't you be mistaken for a power vessel, exact same lighting. That makes the argument for the red over green. If you also have a masthead tricolor on, which according to the rules I don't think is legit(not positive on that, anyone have a copy of the rules handy? ) I would hope most people would conclude "sailboat" though. What would you think if you saw deck lights and red over green vertical lights? Even if you did not know what it was you would know it was something "different". As far as the meter seperation, that's about the same height of most VHF antennas so overall height wouldn't increase, and with LED lights and aluminum tubing I'm sure I could put something together that was very light weight and low wind resistance, so I don't see the big problem there. Different strokes for different folks I guess, I'd rather be identified as a sailboat, and if more of us start using red over green, it will be commonplace and well known.

Boasun- Oopsie #1. You are absolutely right, what was I thinking? Thanks for the wakeup call. Oopsie #2. Not sure what you mean, I just said that masthead lights are a pain to replace and add windage, etc., didn't say they were required/not required.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook