SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007

captjim46 is on a distinguished road
Talking After a 300 mile cruise.

I posted earlier on this thread, and would now like to update. My wife and I just returned from a group cruise of about 300 miles with the sailing club of Oriental, NC. (SCOO). Our 26M was the smallest of 24 boats, with the largest being a very nice Island Packet of about 44'. We traveled from Oriental to Ocrakoke Is. on the outer banks, then to Englehard, and on to Manteo, crossing the Pamlico sound 3 times on the outbound leg. Most of this portion of the trip was with either too little wind to sail, or too much wind right on the nose and 2-3' seas. We sailed when everyone else did, and had no problem keeping up with the fleet. Under power, with ballast in, I kept the 50 HP Suzuki under 3000 RPM. We were faster than everyone there except the Island Packet in the prevailing sea conditions. On the outbound leg of about 150 miles we burned 18 gal. of fuel. The plan for the trip back was to return via the ICW and the Alligator River. The forcast for the next 2 days is for 20-25 kt. winds with gust to 35 and thunderstorms. the group decided to ride out the weather in the Alligator River Marina. I called my son and had him bring the truck and trailer up. We slept in our own bed last night and will be able to make our mid week commitments.
There are a few changes we are going to make to our 26M, but all and all we think it is a great little boat.

Last edited by captjim46; 06-03-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook