SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying to leave the dock
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan
Hello SailNet people! I am new to sailing and have been using a Morris 36' Justine. We have been practicing docking over the past few weeks and have gotten much better at not ending up sideways in our slip. Until the other day when we couldn't even get out of our slip!
The boat is tied up facing north on the starboard side. To ... and no matter how hard I tried the boat would not rotate enough to make the turn. The wind seemed to be keeping the bow from turning and our 17 year old little volvo was maxed out! There must be something I am clueless about but I am not sure what we could have done differently.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.
Rogan
Rogan
You might try running a line from you bow around a dock cleat at the bow end of your slip (or even the same cleat for the next slip), and back to the bow. Use this line as a spring line to hold the bow so the boat can rotate out of the slip. If you put the boat in forward the the rudder hard to starboard the boat should rotate nicely - someone should man the spring line so the length can be adjusted as the boat leaves the slip..then release one end and pull it back onboard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook