SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I Be There During Survey?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007

FritzN is on a distinguished road
Should I Be There During Survey?

I live in Colorado, and am buying a Mason 44 in northern Wisconsin. I'm bringing in a highly-regarded surveyor (from Minneapolis -- 4 hours away) this Wednesday to survey the boat on the hard (where it's been all winter). The boat won't be in the water until the 8th, shortly after which I'll fly in to test sail it with another (local) surveyor.

I have a conflict on Wednesday, so my question is "how important is it for me to be there for the survey on the hard?" (The broker will be there.) The surveyor comes highly recommended and will produce an 8-9 page report describing the boatís construction, appraising the boat, and detailing any deficiencies found. I've discussed in detail the scope of the survey -- with particular emphasis on hull & deck moisture Ė- and believe that the surveyor will do a thorough job.

If all goes well in the survey and the test sail, the boat will be trucked to San Francisco for the summer -- where I will familiarize myself with the boat and refresh old skills -- then Iíll sail it to its new home port in Ensenada, Mexico (60 miles below the US border).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook