SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 462 information desired
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007

terra57 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 462 Hydraulic autopilot

Hi
I have a Morgan 462, ketch rig, 5'3" draft. She's great and performs well at sea BUT I am not sure if our autopilot works right. You mentioned yours in a recent message. I was wondering about the noises mine makes. The autopilot constantly saws and squeaks back and forth making it impossible to sleep in the rear berth. I am also afraid to leave it on for very long. We just took a 3-week cruise and just used the autopilot for meals and trips to the head during the night. Last year we used the autopilot for 2 entire days and the pump overpressured and all the fluid leaked out leaving us with no steering (not even manual). We repaired the pump and 2 spares but still are concerned about it and did not want to risk breaking it while we were offshore.
Could you describe the sound yours makes? I also hear the rudder itself occasionally as it turns and am thinking maybe it is too tight and the autopilot is overworking to turn that monster! Have you used yours much offshore?
I sure would appreciate your response. There aren't too many of these old babes around. You can answer me directly at terra57@hotmail.com or I will check here again.
Thanks
Barb Savage
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook