SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring shine to metal parts (cleats, port hole metal)
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
problems I've found with acids.

1. Acid removes all of the oxidation on stainless and opens up the pours in the metal and will make it rust worse in a shorter amount of time.

2. If your hull or decks are painted and you get acid on the paint it will remove all the wax and open up the paint and it will stain easier. same with gel coat.

3. over time it will remove anodizing from aluminum.

4. Its a pain when have to round up rubber gloves to use it and finding the right ratio to dilute it. and then trying not to get any on the rest of the boat is nearly impossible even when you rinse it off it ends up running down the deck and down the hull. and leaving discolored streaks and spots.

It is very fast but the side effects make it not worth it to me.
Some of the guys with sport fisherman that have the big tuna towers on them have recommended lemon pledge for aluminum I haven't tried that yet but their boats are always immaculate.

the miracle cloth followed by the colinite is fast an it lasts. and its much safer for the boat and the person using it than acids.

hope this helps

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 06-04-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook