SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring, chain diameter is a big difference?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002

uri is on a distinguished road
Anchoring, chain diameter is a big difference?

I just bought an Elan 40, a racer cruiser boat. I decided to get a Delta fastset anchor 16 Kg (35Lbs), that is recomended by Simpson lawrence for cruisers up to 44ft or cruser/racers to 49 ft. They recomend to use a 8mm (5/16) chain size. I am thinking on placing a 10mm (3/8) chain. My thinking is: I usually anchor in 4 -5 meters (12-15 ft) maximum 10 meter (31ft) depth, pretty good bottoms may be some weed, no corals ocassionaly rock. Usually here in the Med anchoring space is limited, so not much rode can be left of...probably a 5:1 is always possible. I think with a 10 mm size chain and 40 mts (120 ft) plus 120 ft of Nylon should be perfect for my thinking, using in most conditions an all chain (heavier than 8mm) and using a hook with nylon and if really bad or deaper places I will add the rope. The Person that is selling me the boat is telling me that I will do the same with an 8 mm chain and I will cut the weight in almost half at the bow, Simpson lawrence also recomends 8 mm.....Please anyones opinion will be really apreciated. Thank You
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook