Thread: Hey Hey Hey
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoApe
yea...since it was no to sailing, i got a Harley. So know i have a big payment on something i dont really ride. nice huh?
hey when people say take the 101 class, i get that. then they say, then go sailing. where? can you rent little boats? how can a total newbie just up and Go Sail?
S.A.
A Harley and a sailboat would be the best of both worlds, but sailboats rule!

Go to your local marina and ask around to see if somebody will rent you a small boat for the day. I wouldn't bring your wife for the first little while as you may scare her into not going again. You may find somebody to bring you both for the day and she may end up liking it. You can also do what I did 3 years ago. I went out and bought a 26' Grampian withough telling my wife hoping she would like sailing. Figured, if she hatted it I could just sell the boat, small investement....ends up she loves it and not the lease bit scared. I'm a very lucky man. We bought a 36' Morgan last fall.

As far as taking classes, it's a good idea. I just read alot, learned how to read charts and took a correspondence boating course. Other than that, when I got my boat, a friend showed me the basics and then we just went out and sailed, it's not hard to learn and it's alot quieter than a Harley.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook