SailNet Community - View Single Post - Licensing? among other things....
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-05-2007
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,150
Thanks: 9
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 12
USCGRET's right, you'd need a Coast Guard Operator's license only if you were carrying passengers of freight for hire. So yes, any "idiot" can go out and try to sail.

Texas boating regs summary here:TPWD: Boating - Water Safety Digest

On small cruisers, you'll just have one or several batteries, so you're on 12 volts. This will power lights and instruments, but not a fridge, so it's icebox city. If you're large enough to have a generator, then you can have fridge and AC. Or you might have a shore power connection so you can have them at the marina at least.

You can take classes and get a USSA or ASA certificate, which may be a good idea and may help convince someone else to let you charter their boat without a skipper. But these are private certificates, not required by law.

Last edited by nolatom; 06-05-2007 at 10:05 AM.
nolatom is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome