SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drilling A Drainage Hole in Sunfish Hull???
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007
Making way

dan2007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Has anyone ever drilled a permanent drainage hole and used a removable plug in one of these older sunfish
All fiberglass Sunfish have a drain plug. It's located on the starboard side at the end of the coaming... some early years even had one to port... a few yeras had it in the bow near the handle. Older drain ports are a dime size bronze screw, newer boats have the familiar twist-out plastic plug.

Quote:
I have no idea how water is getting in the hull. I will try to find out and repair it ..but if I can't I just don't see drilling drainage holes in it every few weeks..
Right, drilling your hull full of holes is not the wisest approach. The typical tactic is to first do a leak test, patch the holes, and then check the drain port after each day out to identify any new problems.

There's a great source for Sunfish and similar type beach craft information at an owner's support group: sunfish_sailor : Sunfish Sailor

Instructions for leak testing and photos & diagrams for keeping the innards dry and flotation buoyant.

Last edited by dan2007; 06-06-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook