SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fricking Project Headache #2982B: GPS mount in Pedestal Guard
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Fricking Project Headache #2982B: GPS mount in Pedestal Guard

So, I sent Edson a note. For those of you who have been following the pathetic story, dream is to mount the GPS above the compas, on a custom shelf between the rails.

I thought I was going to drill into Pedestal to route gps / sounder cables, but they informed me that running wiring and or conduit through the pedestal is not recommended. Too much junk in trunk.

Question is, I think I need to drill a 3/4" into the rails...and then, into the cockpit sole. Bear in mind, the rail diameter is 1".

Why 3/4? Well, Garmin, in their $$%$^^ wisdom, has attached wide fittings on both ends of the cable, and the transducer cable has about 20 pins that one cannot readily chop and re-solder. So I'm kinda screwed. 5/8", in test hole the other day, was not big enough.

Question is, two actually:

how do you find [buy] / install a rubber grommit on the edge of the rail hole, perhaps with a conduit of some sort, to guard against chafe (and provide weather proofing) between the rail and the GPS (approx 1 foot)

Second, I now have to drill a 3/4" hole in the cockpit sole, uncomfortably close to the two rail thru bolts. There's some sort of mediocre gasket system, looks like a block of rubber, that is in use now, but it's only preventing water from entering the two thru bolt holes.

Would you guys move forward with this plan...and how to prevent structural failure from this series of three holes on each rail...and waterproof the whole tamale at the same time?

Thanks, guys.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook