SailNet Community - View Single Post - What are you paying for boat insurance?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
Insurance is a sore point with me. I bought the boat from the PO in 2003 and bought a full coverage policy from the same insurer that the PO used. Boat was surveyed in 2003, in Australia. Survey was good quality in detail. I called the surveyor up to clarify some findings. I paid $2400 for $180K replacement value. Policy allowed for 250 miles off shore but must be outside the box during hurricane season. Box includes from Florida tip to Grenada. In 2004 and2005 they raised the premium a 100 or so each year. I called them before each hurricane event in 2004 and 2005 that might effect boat to report measures I had taken. I called them in Dec 2005 to report that I had damage and that I would repair all damage on my nickel. Total repair cost was less than their "named storm deductible". In Jan 2006 I called them to tell em I was moving the boat southbound. They called me back a couple of days before I was set to leave and said I needed to provide a new survey. I told them I would look into this when I reached Georgetown. They argued. I sailed. Discussion continued by email as I moved south. I passed on the haul out in Georgetown. Discussion continued by email. I fired them around the Turks or Luperon. I finally hauled out in Fajardo, Puerto Rico last Aug or Sept. I called them back and sent them results, I asked for a liability only quote. It came back about $1000. I dropped the issue. Boat remains uninsured and happily inside the dreaded box. If it sinks its my nickel. If a liability issue occurs, its my nickel. In the meantime I'll bank the $3K+ per year in the "boat improvements/repair" account.

Last edited by EscapadeCaliber40LRC; 06-06-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook