SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing vs Boating
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Having both a sailboat and a powerboat (does that make me BI?), I have to say I enjoy them both. However, for completely different reasons; the sailboat (34' pilothouse-6 knots @ 0-1/2gph) is used for cruising trips here in the NW and daysailing, the powerboat (28' ex-commercial crabber-18/20 knots @ 6-7gph) is transportation, supply runs, and used for crabbing and prawning. I don't understand picking a power boat as a cruiser, I would prefer a sailboat (hull) for it's inherent seaworthiness even if I couldn't sail it. We end up doing quite a bit of motoring here in the fickle summer winds and narrow channels with strong currents, but nothing compares to gliding along, silently, enjoying the scenery while mentally being challenged with doing a good job of sailing. Good sailors make it look easy to run downwind wing on wing, or tack through a narrow pass, but the rest of us sailors know it's challenging and rewarding to do it well. Sitting on the flybridge with the throttle set and the autopilot on that's tied to the chartplotter route just wouldn't give me the same feeling of accomplishment(being of Scottish descent I'd have a hard time forgetting I'm burning 15-30gph too). They are both boating, just different.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook