SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do You Sail or Motor?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross31
I remeber the first time i saw somebody artfully tacking through my mooring field, i was in awe. It has been my inspiration ever since. I can sail too and from my mooring on my Pearson 26 so most days i don't use the motor.
An admirable inspiration.

Quote:
I have a feeling it will be a different story with the SC31! That is, if it ever floats again! Do you think it's a bad sign when someone has siliconed around the INSIDE of the seacock and backing plate .
It isn't necessarily a bad sign...just a sign of someone who didn't have a clue on how to do a proper installation or re-bedding of a seacock.

Quote:
Honestly though, i would rather sail at 1 knot than motor at 6. If there is somewhere i have to be it can WAIT! For me sailing is living and the rest is just preparation/work so I will stay out as long as possible. I was out on lake Champlain thursday...2-4 knts....no one was out except a few boats motoring around. I drive 3hrs to get there so i go out anyway. I had my sails up for about 3-4hrs, did some work on the boat then watched the beautiful sunsets there. Then I (all alone) was rewarded with 10 knots, no clouds and a huge sky full of stars. One of the most peaceful sails yet. I stayed out until midnight....slept till 6am and woke to 15-20 g30 and sailed under full main till the afternoon. Life is GOOD!
Well said... I was out last Tuesday, and we sailed about 85% of the time we were out. The 15% of the time we motored was because it is required to pass the swing bridge—I don't believe they will even allow you through if you have your sails up. Motoring I can do about 6 knots cruising speed, we were sailing at 4.5-8 knots most of the day.

BTW, motoring long distances on my boat just isn't feasible. I only have the capacity to store about 11 gallons of fuel—and that is for both the dinghy outboard and the boat's outboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-09-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook