SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safety of Edel Cat 35 as a blue water cruiser?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007

casperholst is on a distinguished road
Again, thank you for the contribution and will do my homework on this before getting any gear. Had a look at the Jordan drogue which looks better then a sea anchor due to its flexibility and give. i am not sure if it would be better to keep the bows of the boat into the wind as the stern is more vunerable with more openings and a cockpit to fill?! I understand that drogues do not work from the bows due to the amount of reverse movement. Sea anchors have problems with very high loading and shafe.
yet another interesting dilemma. i suppose one could strengthen hatches and washboards etc.

On a different note i have been considering the best self steering system for this edel 35. Due to simplicity and rod style steering system, giving fairly high resistance, i would favour an independant type vane self steering system such as the Hydrovane.
Does anyone have any experience with this system and does it work on cats? I imagine that there could be problems with the apparent wind direction shifting and excessive yaw or is the hydrovane sensitive enough?
Looking forward to any knowledge out there.
Many thanks and all the best.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook