SailNet Community - View Single Post - Grampian G28
Thread: Grampian G28
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tim: The two C&C designs built by Grampian was the Classic 22 (later sold as the C&C 22 and the Bluejacket) and the Redwing, the Grampian version was sold under another name that escapes me. The Redwing was being built by Bellevue Marine and by 1965 Grampian picked up construction in some kind of joint venture with Bellevue. I worked in the Grampian Booth during the 1965 NY Boat Show keeping the boats fresh, handing out literature on both C&C boats plus the Peter Van Dyne designed Classic 31 (which was commissioned by Henry Walton here in Annapolis and built by Grampian in three forms). I later owned a C&C Designed Grampian Classic 22.

My comments on the build and sailing quality came from my experiences with my own C&C 22 which was actually pretty well built for its day and my experioence with later Grampian models, most particularly during the late 1970's when I had a deal with a fellow that I could use his Grampian 26 in exchange for teaching him to sail and maintaining his boat. There were several other Grampians in town and the owners all seemed to know each other and have similar kinds of problems and so I spent a lot of time on these boats trying to sort out poor build quality issues.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook