SailNet Community - View Single Post - How loud is loud with an A4?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
How loud is loud with an A4?

I am completely new to A4s -- or inboard boat engines of any type, though I am comfortable working on gas engines -- and I read that the A4s run smooth, quiet, etc., and I wonder just how smooth and quiet they should be.

Mine is in a 75 Newport 28, and was rebuilt by Moyer for a PO back in '93. It starts up and runs fine (though I suspect the carb is set a bit lean, but that's another thread), but it's not like you can't tell the engine is running at 1000 rpm. Everything in the exhaust system seems to be working OK, water pumps out the exhaust in regular bursts, just a little blue smoke at startup and then it goes right away. I can't really say anything is wrong with the "muffler", I just have no A4 experience to compare my engine with.

What would you say is a "quiet" A4? Barely hear it inside the cabin at 1000 rpm? Easy to talk over? Have to raise your voice a bit to talk over it?

Sorry for such a vague question, but all my boat friends either have diesels or outboards, so there's no help there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook