SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rules of the Road: Precedence?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun
Hey Guys, lets not get too tacky (pun intended) about this. Use your discretion and live another day. If the other fella wants to barge through? Let him, ...
Certainly the wiser course. (See: I can pun, too ) I alluded to that in my OP. But still, I think the issue both interesting in a mind game-ish kind of a way and important--especially for n00bz like myself. Sailboats have no brakes, rarely are ready to go into reverse at a moments notice and can take a relatively long time to "turn," depending on conditions. So I think it's a Good Thing if everybody sailing has the Rules of the Road firmly ingrained in their consciousness, so that doing the Right & Expected Thing becomes second nature.

I guess part of my reason for raising this discussion in the first place was to help more firmly implant the Rules in my brain. I'm sure hoping that steering the right course will become automatic, and I don't find myself having internal debates like "Now, was it port tack or starboard tack that should give way?"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook