SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do You Sail or Motor?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh
50-75% was my guess averaging out the weekend day sails that are around 90 with the couple of 'cruises' a year which are more acurately described as destination motor sails ....... unless the wind was perfect .... ya right
If guys like us waited for perfect wind, we might have done better spending the money on a slab-sided RV. I went out "shadowing" the race fleet last night with full main, jib and no staysail (couldn't be bothered) in winds of 5 to 12 to maybe 14 knots, avg. about 8-9. From the east, so the local island was providing a lot of wind shadow. But I went out about 1/2 NM under power, unrolled the jib and made about three knots on a reach. So I went to a beam and (just because I felt like experimenting) hoisted my main without going head to wind. That worked better than I'd hoped. Eventually we found a patch of breeze and made about 4.5 to 5 knots, which for a part-laden steel cutter is respectable in 10-12 knots of twitchy air. Basically, it's the opposite of Giulietta, on which I sailed in very similar conditions last week. Nonetheless, she'll move in any sort of wind and can point and tack smartly, if not particularly with alacrity.

We sailed quite close in to our basin before I switched the motor on, and while I'd have to check the hour meter, I think I ran about 25 minutes out of nearly three hours away from the dock. That's typical for an evening sail, because even with crappy, "barely sailing" air is better and more peaceful than motoring at the 6.5 knots I can do at 2,400 RPM. If I wanted that sort of experience, I'd own a Macgregor 26X.

Point is, sailboats should sail. They are terrible means by which you can work to a schedule, but for cooling off in the evening air, they are unsurpassed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook