SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do You Sail or Motor?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Not to cast aspersions, but I think it's easy to get a bit elitist about how little the motor is used. It would be great to never need it, but it's not an ideal world out there. The reality is, if you have to get somewhere, you get there however you can.
I don't think it's elitist, but it is a choice. I love my motor and spend a great deal of time understanding its mysterious ways. I prefer to sail, and would rather do so in all circumstances wherein I'm not already on the boat and need to get someplace in a hurry...because six knots is only a "hurry" when compared to three knots under sail. So when on my boat, I try to arrange things so that I "have to get somewhere" as little as possible. I'm not a purist about it, however: I would prefer to burn the expensive diesel rather than have it turn to sludge in my filters, but I try to purchase with excess time decent sailing experiences rather than get into ferrying boats under power...which was ironically what Portugal turned out to be, but what can you do?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook