SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

dishonesty is the best policy

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Stryker72 
#1 ·
Had the perfect day today. First thing this morning I told my wife I'd drop the kids off at summer camp, and come home and work all day. I then told my various bosses that I'd be at home working as well. My wife went to work, I rode my bike with the kids to camp, and then I went direclty to the boat. The sun was out, it was cool, and blowing 15kts on Port Royal Sound. Dolphins were fricking EVERYWHERE. Sailed all over creation for the next 2.5 hours, and then came back in. Docked without damaging the boat, got on my bike, picked my kids up, and we all rode home together. Once there, I discovered one of those Heineken minikegs in the refrigerator -- an early father's day present from my wife! Called her, my editors and everyone else I lied to. Nobody had a clue -- not even the kids! If I get laid tonight, it'll be on record as the best day of my life... I'm going to start lying all the time from now on.
Just thought I'd share...

#2 ·
I've told the truth to everyone today and what did I get for it?

My wife and I slept on the boat last night - typically provides a great night's sleep. I was up most of the night thinking about a design presentation I was supposed to present to my client at 2:30 this afternoon. Feel like a zombie!

I've been knocking myself out all morning completing the renderings. 10 minutes ago, at exactly 2:30 - the time he was supposed to be here, he calls to say he'll be a "couple hours late". So now I have to wait until 4:30 to make the presentation.

Give me some of what you've been smoking sailhog.

#3 ·
I gave up crack several days ago... I think it's the constant, relentless lying about a million little things that's gotten me to this blessed state of mind. TB, I'd suggest you do the same. Just lie, lie, lie, lie, lie and perhaps you too will find the path to your salvation.

#4 · (Edited)
Had a beautiful wind here in Fla this morning, my buddy and I were gonna knock off work for a couple of hours and head out and make it back in time for a 2 pm conf call. Of Course.... get to the marina.... 2 knots of wind. WTF?... the flags were strait out an hour ago. Wind is a fickle thing..... after 30 minutes of waiting I put the hatch covers back on and we headed back to work.... what a bummer.

#18 ·
Good One USCG :D You had me fooled. I was only down there once a couple months ago marina hunting for future retirement. I visited Sailhogs and I think the Port Royal also ..... but I have to admit they all look the same from distant pictures now ..... in my already distant memory :eek:

#20 ·
TrueBlue said:
I've told the truth to everyone today and what did I get for it?

My wife and I slept on the boat last night - typically provides a great night's sleep. I was up most of the night thinking about a design presentation I was supposed to present to my client at 2:30 this afternoon. Feel like a zombie!

I've been knocking myself out all morning completing the renderings. 10 minutes ago, at exactly 2:30 - the time he was supposed to be here, he calls to say he'll be a "couple hours late". So now I have to wait until 4:30 to make the presentation.

Give me some of what you've been smoking sailhog.
Just an update on my honest day's work :cool: . . . my clients finally came in for their design presentation, at 4:00 pm, instead of 4:30. All the anxiety was to no avail, since they both "love" their proposed custom home design . . . in spite of the $$$$$$.

Gonna take Friday (tomorrow) off and go sailin' for three days - my wife, son and daughter's early father's day present ( I'm sure, laced with other perks as well ). And I'm not even smoking anything sailhog . . . ;) .

#21 ·
True Blue,
Your message seems to be "Honesty is the best policy." This simply doesn't work in the long run. Sure, telling the truth will make you feel good now, but telling lots of lies all of the time will get you ahead in the long term. Honest people are shallow. As Jesus Himself said, "The liars shall inherit the earth."

#22 ·
Have fun TB...

#23 ·
Lying is full strength weaponry. I prefer dissembling, or providing less than the whole truth. If you were standing next to me when the cellphone rang you might here something like this:

"Yes, Boss?"
""
"Why sure, no problem, I'm on my way back up to the office right now."
""
"What?" <---- Classic stall
""
"Well, I was just down on the boat, checking on progress, but I'll be back up in 2 minutes."
(At this point, it's important to note that the boss takes "down on the boat" to mean "walking around the construction shed in the shipyard looking at the submarine I'm supposed to be building" and not "hanging out on the dock admiring the shine of my new rigging.")
""
"OK, see you soon. Buh bye."

See? No need for nuclear weapons, when a little 500 LB bomb will do the trick just fine!

#24 ·
LOL... There is an art to telling the truth...and shading it just right.

You're still telling the truth...
"Well, I was just down on the boat, checking on progress, but I'll be back up in 2 minutes."
is all true...if your boss jumps to the erroreous conclusion that the boat is the submarine, you can't be faulted for that at all.

#25 ·
Sailingdog wrote: There is an art to telling the truth...and shading it just right.

Telling huge lies, one after another, just seems more wholesome. Sailingdog, I feel like you aren't 100% on board with this idea. WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.