SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mustang /vs/ SOSpenders PFD - why the big $ difference?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Actually, if you read the PFD reviews from BoatUS, or Practical Sailor, or Equipped.Org...you'd find that certain PFDs will in fact turn you face up in water, while others won't. And some will turn you face up only when properly adjusted in the water, so you need to adjust them while in the water before deciding how to wear them.

With an autoinflate PFD and a crtochstrap you stand at least some chance of being rotated face-up and kept alive after a head strike on the way overboard. Without it? you stand much less chance. Near zero.

ScubaPro BC? Yeah, I used my BC before I got my then-still-illegal PFD. A Crewfit that still rates tops for keeping the wearer face-up and out of the water. I figured since the marine guards on the presidential helo used BCs, they probably would work well enough for me. And, my BC has almost twice the lift of most PFDs on the market. (More lift means my face and nose are higher out of the water, or I can help keep someone else up.)

But today? Uhuh, wouldn't use the BC. Too Much Stuff and if I'm going overboard...the only time I'm really concerned will be if I'm unconcious, when that autoinflate needs to kick in and count.

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-14-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook