SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mustang /vs/ SOSpenders PFD - why the big $ difference?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodphyllis
You want it to auto-inflate? Fine, go ahead and install auto-inflate. I've decided to go with manual inflate, as have thousands of others. My only point is that the units you're looking at are - IMHO - better than nothing but they don't make for a very good lifejacket. As a lifejacket, they suck. If you're unconscious, I can't imagine them keeping you from drowning. In the placid water of lake woebegone they work perfectly, I'm sure.
Well, I hope that you never fall overboard in an incapacitated state. BTW, the shock of falling in to cold water can prevent you from being able to inflate your buoyancy compensator... so I guess you might get the Darwin award you seem to working towards.

Quote:
Let's give a hand to SD for going the extra mile - that is, for knocking himself out just to test the latest and most advanced personal safety gear. Not too many people would do that.
Only an idiot would think that testing the auto-inflation component of a PFD would require an unconscious tester... Jumping into the water with an auto-inflate PFD that is about the get the cartridge switched out for maintenance reasons is a good time to test it, since you'll be replacing the cartridge/tablet in any case.

Quote:
Before you spend alot of money try one out in the water and decide for yourself. Take note: Perhaps Sailingpuppy has never ventured outside of Cape Cod Bay. He doesn't know what a BC is. Seems strange for an apparent old salt.
Some of us don't scuba dive, and last I checked, a BC is scuba diving equipment, not sailing equipment. But, maybe you don't realize that, since you don't seem to have the ability to distinguish significant differences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook