SailNet Community - View Single Post - Family Day-Sailor (in Colorado)
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2001

wdodd is on a distinguished road
Family Day-Sailor (in Colorado)

I''m looking for a boat that can accomodate our family including 3 kids (ages 6,4 & 2). I was initially interested in a Laser because we have a fairly active racing fleet in the area and I wanted to relive some of my college days racing FJ''s.

<p>After some discussion with my wife, she would like to have a larger day-sailor that can accomodate everyone. With the two-year old, this seems to dictate a 18+ foot boat with a cockpit that the kids can sit down in. The Hobie Cat, while a fun lake boat, is thrown out because I don''t want to have to catch small kids as they fall off the forward trapeze or fish them out of the water as they bob past

<p>I''ve been looking at the Catalina 18 or the Catalina Capri 22. I suppose my real question is, are these boats easily trailered and do they do well in light wind? We have small lakes and reservoirs in the area and there''s always Lake Powell in the summers. Any suggestions on the smallest, lightest, and most comfortable day-sailor in this category?

<p>I would certainly appreciate hearing from anyone that found a solution for a similar circumstance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook