SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Tips on Interior Mold
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 05-21-2002
Senior Member
RichH's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,640
Thanks: 25
Thanked 172 Times in 161 Posts
Rep Power: 17
Need Tips on Interior Mold

Mildew removal *can* be dangerous as many species are toxic... to skin, lungs, etc. If and where possible, spray on straight Chlorox and let it soak into the mildew then rinse with water ..... this is just to kill it. Cleaning usually involves direct scrubbing (definitely wear a respirator, goggles and rubber gloves - just in case you''re sensitive to it). Only scrub wetted mildew, never dry mildew as you will release spores into the atmosphere if dry (most dangerous form).

Commercial cleaning compounds are available: X-14, Tile-X, etc. I also use full strength Sodium Silicate based detergents - as caustics will dissolve the cellular material - best. To prevent reinfections during the cleaning process consider to use paraformaldehyde crystals: (also toxic, put crystals on top of plastic baggies, etc. close the boat; the gas given off of the paraF will also kill attenuate further growth - MildewGaz, etc. Before entering the boat, open it to ventilate completely and dont breathe the paraF vapors.

Anytime in the future when you long term store the boat.... put in some paraF crystals just before leaving and closing up. Good active ventilation and a dry bilge are the best defense; otherwise, its scrub time!
RichH is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome