SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice/Opinions Nav. Software
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002

fer@fer is on a distinguished road
Advice/Opinions Nav. Software

Hi MM,

As you said, there is a lot of Nav Soft out there. Almost all software works in the same interface with the user. The biggest differences from the tech standpoint is their ability to interface with other instruments onboard. And that is always a lot of money.

Indeed that you may have a very easy to operate soft working with raster charts for as little as US$75, (www.oziexplorer.com) or get a Raytech complete system (www.raymarine.com) interfacing whatever you think except the HBS Radar for something around 2/3K

On the other hand you may also find interesting built in chartplotters, which I believe is the best option. Particularly if you "want something easy to understand that will get me where I want to go". Such as Garmins , Lowrance, etc.

They probably are the simplest, can be interfaced with any autopilot, and indeed work fine for me.

If you plan to navigate in northwestern hemisphere, any of those map systems are reliable. Less reliable for Europe, and not reliable at all in southern hemisphere.

We carry a simple Lowrance 1600/3000 at the helm, for the simple reason that you can tailor your own charts with a Mapcreate software included. Garmin have propietary charts wich demonstrated in this hemisphere to be misleading.

In the navigation table we do carry a Furuno plotter together with a small Garmin as backup. The latter one is interface with the onborad computer, with a standard Ozi navigation soft. (Actually the onboard computer has been expropiated by my 5 sons, and fully loaded with games and mp3 music. If you do have such kind of pets onboard, forget the computer !)

If this does not help, we should claim Jeff for an oppinion.

Best regards

Fernando
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook