SailNet Community - View Single Post - liveaboard marinas in the NYC area
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007

mrh116 is on a distinguished road
The first marina is Lincoln Harbor Yacht club on the Hudson. Not a bad location. Great access to the city. Very protected, but the Hudson can run pretty quick in that area and it would be quite undesirable in my opinion to run a sailboat from that location during a strong rip tide. The river runs about 6kts there from what I gather. In addition, the harbor master made it quite clear that he makes his $$$ from fuel and sailboaters are 'cheap' in his opinion. Not a good attitude if he wants my business. So, I'd do a trawler there, but no a sailboat. The prices were not too bad. They are posted on their web site:

Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club: on the Hudson River, in NY Harbor (Weehawken, NJ), directly across from New York City

The second place is in port washington. I honestly forget the name of the marina. There is a yacht club and a marina right next to each other. They are one cove over from Brewer Capri. I think it is either Tom's Point Marina or Haven Marina. In addition, the small yacht club has liveaboards, but has no water for a sailboat. ~3' mean tide. The price was expensive at the place that allowed liveaboards. I am recalling ~$200/ft/yr plus other fees. They did have heated dock water lines for winter service. I don't recall if the facilities were open in the winter or if you have to be self contained.

I am familiar w/ Liberty Landing and it's 'stay aboard' policy. I am a risk averse person and my employer has already told me that if I live on a boat, it had better never become a problem w/ my work. So any hassels could cause me additional problems.

I will re-post if I decide to pull the trigger and become a functional boat-bum. It has been a dream for quite some time, but has always eluded me for various reasons. I'd like to get a nice 40'+ cruiser and prep for 'early retirement' when the boat is paid off.

Sailing is one of the best things you can do w/ your clothes on. And hell, in the right company, clothing can be optional

Later
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook