SailNet Community - View Single Post - liveaboard marinas in the NYC area
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 06-15-2007 Thread Starter
mrh116

The first marina is Lincoln Harbor Yacht club on the Hudson. Not a bad location. Great access to the city. Very protected, but the Hudson can run pretty quick in that area and it would be quite undesirable in my opinion to run a sailboat from that location during a strong rip tide. The river runs about 6kts there from what I gather. In addition, the harbor master made it quite clear that he makes his $$$ from fuel and sailboaters are 'cheap' in his opinion. Not a good attitude if he wants my business. So, I'd do a trawler there, but no a sailboat. The prices were not too bad. They are posted on their web site:

Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club: on the Hudson River, in NY Harbor (Weehawken, NJ), directly across from New York City

The second place is in port washington. I honestly forget the name of the marina. There is a yacht club and a marina right next to each other. They are one cove over from Brewer Capri. I think it is either Tom's Point Marina or Haven Marina. In addition, the small yacht club has liveaboards, but has no water for a sailboat. ~3' mean tide. The price was expensive at the place that allowed liveaboards. I am recalling ~$200/ft/yr plus other fees. They did have heated dock water lines for winter service. I don't recall if the facilities were open in the winter or if you have to be self contained.

I am familiar w/ Liberty Landing and it's 'stay aboard' policy. I am a risk averse person and my employer has already told me that if I live on a boat, it had better never become a problem w/ my work. So any hassels could cause me additional problems.

I will re-post if I decide to pull the trigger and become a functional boat-bum. It has been a dream for quite some time, but has always eluded me for various reasons. I'd like to get a nice 40'+ cruiser and prep for 'early retirement' when the boat is paid off.

Sailing is one of the best things you can do w/ your clothes on. And hell, in the right company, clothing can be optional

Later
Mark
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome